Pay a visit to Longacre School’s Christmas Fair at 10am on Saturday 1st December … [ Read More ]
Chinthurst Lane, Wonersh
Sir Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll's First Masterpiece (1893-1895), Chinthurst Hill has been described as being situated on the finest site in the South of England.
Set high on a hill, approached by a long winding drive and large wooden gates, Lutyens first major commission, Chinthurst Hill has been described as being situated on the finest site in the South of England.
Just over 30 miles from London and 30 miles from Gatwick, Heathrow and Farnborough, Chinthurst Hill, set in 25 acres, provides the discerning buyer with a haven of peace and privacy. This part of Surrey is blessed with a wide choice of schools including Charterhouse, which can be seen in the distance from the grounds of Chinthurst Hill, Cranleigh, Duke of Kent, St Catherine's, Hurtwood House, Longacre, Guildford High, Royal Grammar and Lanesborough.
The magnificent views from the terraces and gardens reach to Chactonbury Ring 30 miles away on the horizon and encompass distant villages across Surrey and Sussex.
Chinthurst Hill was built by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1893-1895 and its gardens were laid out by Gertrude Jeykll.
The bargate stone building was quarried from the hillside. The finest craftesmanship then available is displayed in the Great Hall with its spectactular tracery windows, oak panelled ceiling, sculpted stone corbels and welcoming fireplace. The room sets the tone for the rest of the house which has been restored to its former glory by its current owners.
THE CHINTHURST HILL VINEYARD
In 2014, 600 vines were planted on the south facing hill slope below Chinthurst Hill. The aim is to produce English sparkling wine with Pinot Noir, Pinot MeuniŠre and Chardonnay varieties. The first crop was in 2015 and due to the limited harvest, Chinthurst Hill Rose was produced. The vineyard may be extended in the future.
Oak panelled library
Gallery room 1 (former servants hall)
Front gallery room
Lower Ground floor
Hallway area 5m x 3.1m door to cloister area
Dining room with original beams, fireplace with 16th Century fireback.
Catering kitchen/dining with Aga
Laundry/ boiler room Storage
Family room with large log burning stove
Family kitchen with Aga
French windows to terrace
Flower arranging room
Wine Cellar (outside)
- there are 2 staircases
Main staircase landing Oak framed with range of original fitted paneled oak cupboards.
Bedroom I Master fireplace, spectacular ceiling with beams and ogee braces.
Art Deco bathroom en suite with original hand blown vaseline glass tiles and original fittings. Separate wc
Bedroom 2 Fireplace with high surround, Delft tiles and oak fender. Paneled cupboard.
Bedroom 3 Fireplace with tiled back and ornate dentilled wooden surround, brick hearth and oak fitted fender.
Bathroom 2 with roll top tub.
Bedroom 4 Marble fireplace designed by Lutyens.
Bathroom 3 with roll top bath, shower and campaign chest style sink unit in cherrywood.
Bedroom 5 faces north and west built in cupboard.
Bedroom 6 Delft tile fireplace, faces south.
3 attic bedrooms, - one currently used as storage.
Bathroom 5 with separate shower. Study and separate dressing room and bathroom suite.
-lapsed planning permission to extend.
Open plan kitchen/ dining / living room with underfloor heating.
Main bedroom with 2 ensuites.
Bedroom 3 and bathroom ensuite.
Main garage - large, brick built. Space for 4/5 cars. Old petrol pump with disused underground petrol storage tank. Current planning permission to convert into a 2 bed house.
Pool pavilion and plant room overlooking pool and tennis court.
Lutyens summer house with Horsham slate roof.
Wooden tractor garage, 2 bay.
Wood and brick Barn for 2 ponies - needs restoring.
Gardens and terraces by Gertrude Jekyll, field with fledgling vineyard planted to produce English sparkling wine and paddock.
17 acres in total.
Driveway 1/3 mile.
Automated gates designed by Lutyens.
Helicopter Grid Ref: TQ013456 Lat & Long N501300 W0145645
- Sir Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll's First Masterpiece (1893-1895)
- Over 12,000 sq ft of accomodation
- A hill top positon of approx. 17 acres
- Entrance hall, great hall drawing room, music room, oak pannelled library, cloakrooms, gallery rooms
- Dining room, family kitchen with aga, catering kitchen with aga, laundry/boiler room, fun room, family room, butlers pantry and flower arranging room, wine cellar
- Pool pavilion overlooking pool and tennis court
- Gardens and terraces by Gertrude Jekyll
- Fledgling vineyard planted to produce English Sparking wine